The Danish Newspaper Collection
The State and University Library, Aarhus, is responsible for preserving The Danish Newspaper Collection, which is Denmark’s national collection of newspapers and local free papers. Here, you will find both Denmark’s oldest newspaper, Den Danske Mercurius, from 1668, and today’s edition of all Danish newspapers. The collection was established by statute in 1916.
At the turn of the year 2012/2013, the collection consisted of approx. 93,750 newspaper volumes, approx. 28,300 volumes of local free papers, and approx. 65,600 microfilm reels.
LEGAL DEPOSIT OF NEWSPAPERS
The Danish Newspaper Collection receives all Danish newspapers and local free papers as legal deposit. When materials are received, we check whether all editions and supplements have been forwarded from the printer’s, after which the newspapers are prepared for microfilming and shelving in the depository.
NEWSPAPER DIGITISATION PROJECT
During the years 2014-2016 the library will digitise 32 millioner newspaper pages from microfilm. Read about the project.
The State and University Library has a number of reference works (general reference works, indexes to records, and indexes), which you can use as a help to find specific newspapers.
Indexes to records
Indexes to records are registers or lists. The following directories relate to the contents of The Danish Newspaper Collection. You can download the records as PDF files (in Danish):
Indexes register the newspapers’ contents, i.e. they provide references to articles. They are used particularly to find rather old newspaper material. The State and University Library has the following indexes:
- Berlingske politiske- og avertissementstidende (Morning), 1864 – 1918
- Berlingske politiske- og avertissementstidende (Evening), 1892 – 1918
- Fædrelandet: Register of the labour cause in Denmark, 1871 – 1882
- Heimdal (material from Southern Jutland only), 1896 – 1923
- Politiken, 1884 – 1924
- Socialisten / Socialdemokraten (sociohistorical material only), 1871 – 1929
- Newspaper Feature Index, 1940 – 1978
- Danish Article Index, 1979 – 1992
- Danish Review Index, 1979 – 1990.
The Danish Article Base, which contains the Newspaper Feature and Danish Article Indexes 1945 and onwards, as well as the Danish Review Index 1991 and onwards, can be searched through via:
General reference works
- Jette D. Søllinge and Niels Thomsen: De danske aviser 1634-1991 (Danish Newspapers 1634-1991) (1991).
- Jette D. Søllinge: Lokalpressen – Danmarks lokale ugeaviser og distriktsblade 1850-2003 (Local Press – Denmark’s local weekly papers and local free papers 1850-2003) (2005) (link to look-up in the library’s database from which you can order the publication for loan).
- Avisårbogen 1924 ff. (The Newspaper Yearbook 1924 and onwards) (link to look-up in the library's database, from which you can order the publication for loan).
The Danish Newspaper Collection
Tangen 2, Skejby
8200 Aarhus N
+45 8946 2015
Questions regarding the use and loan of newspapers and microfilms
+45 8946 2123
All use of microfilms must take place at The State and University Library, Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C.
All use of original newspapers must take place at the Newspaper Reading Room, The Danish Newspaper Collection, Tangen 2, 8200 Aarhus N.